Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

How to survive a kitchen remodel during the Holidays

Face it, you can't. I thought I had it together and was capable of hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year, but when I faced my kitchen with no counter tops, no sink or running water, not even a microwave. Pictures are the week before Thanksgiving.  Justin took a
I lost it. Any Southern gentility was long forgotten. I was beyond angry, disappointed, unhappy and spewing cuss words that would make a trucker proud.
Not exactly one my finer moments. Fast forward a short two weeks and there is progress. I had hopes of having Christmas Eve dinner with my family. I tentatively made the invitations to my loved ones, with the contingency, that should Justin/Justin fall behind again, we would make alternate plans. I was beginning to think I was going to have to buy Justin a Christmas gift at the rate he was going.
The Friday before the Eve, Justin was at the house and finishing up the installation of the two windows, and he hung the new dining room chandelier as a "gift" to me. (umm, I think not, dear, you owed me 140 dollars in a drawer pull allowance, but I'm not going to ruin my karma before Christmas and quibble with you.)
Christmas Eve was lovely. I planned momma's best company dish. The famous fish and yellow rice dish that she learned from Celma Mastry. I had a deal with a man and a truck...LOL the CRAB man at SeaHags hooked me up with 6 lbs. of fresh Black Gulf grouper for Christmas Eve. I had to meet him after dark in a parking lot. I'm not kidding. Contraband grouper? Aw, back in the day there were packages of flat square "grouper" that could put you in jail for a long long time. Now, it is the fresh grouper that is prized. I'll have to share that special recipe on another day. It is a keeper!
The kitchen turned out lovely. My guests oohed and aahed over our choices. There are refaced cherry cabinets, bull nosed granite counter tops, deep double stainless sinks, lovely modern pulls, scratch and dent appliances that match in stainless steel, all of them, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, dishwasher and ceramic top convection oven. A wicked strong ceiling fan, it will blow you away. The new Kraus faucet is phenomenal, great pressure and a breeze to use. My sink came from Overstock.com, the plumber looked it up in his showroom and said it would cost $785 to purchase, I bought it for $345  including the drains, stoppers, wire racks to protect the bottom of the sink, a colander and cutting board. What a steal. The new nickel plated chandelier over the sink is a stunning and the cherry wood blinds echo the crown molding around the upper cabinets.

I cleaned, I purged, I splurged. It is complete. It is truly the kitchen of my dreams and I can't wait to create some lovely meals in such a pretty kitchen. It is a breeze to clean, completely reorganized and easy to work in. It truly was worth the aggravation and angst.

Next up, the bathroom.....as it is, we are short a finished floor, without wallcoverings, no mirror and a "excuse the pun" crappy toilet. We have made our choices and they will debut on the blog at a later date. I can't wait to show you the steal of a deal we got on that sink!!

No comments:

Post a Comment